3.25.2009

Ayam Buah Keluak made with buah keluak paste


Buah Keluak nut is such a rare ingredient outside SE Asia.  There's not a single vendor that sells this gem in Tokyo.  Ever since I have been demonstrated to cook the truly classic Peranaka dish, Ayam Buah Keluak, I wanted to replicate it here in Japan.  Well, guess what?  I bought this buah keluak paste from the famous Nonya Restaurant / Catering, at 139 East Coast Rd. near Joo Chiat Rd., called Glory.  Acutally, not only this paste but they have several ready-made pastes like sambal chilies, curry powders which is quite good.  For those who are unfamiliar with this ingredient, please read my previous blog on Ayam Buah Keluak.   Well exactly what does it taste like?  In my opinion, it does have a similar flavor and texture of a tapenade made with black olives minus briney flavor.  With a little bit of rempah (Perankan mire poix / soffritto), belachan, lemon grass, tamarind adn of course the buah keluak paste and chicken, I was rewarded with a hearty comfort peranakan meal.  Just hit me with a sambal blachan please!

2 件のコメント:

My Taste Heaven さんのコメント...

This ayam buah keluak really makes me drooling a lot. I could not remember if I could find this dish when I visited Nyonya restaurant. Will definitely order it next time when I visit again. By the way, next time when you go to Singapore, please do make a short visit to Penang. We have wonderful food here! Penang Welcomes YOU!

My Taste Heaven

Shigeki Koshiba 小柴茂樹 さんのコメント...

Thanks for your kind invitation! I have been to Penang once 5years ago and I had a culinary blast. You gotta nice blog as well. I'd definitely want to go back there in the near future.